According to a recent study published by the European Society of Cardiology, the combination of chocolate and olive oil together can reduce the biological markers of heart disease! Inspired by this knowledge, this month we have highlighted a few of our favorite ways to combine chocolate and olive oil. This recipe is very simple to make and deliciously rich. Sugar can be subbed for coconut sugar, and both chocolate and olive oil can be purchased in the shop. Enjoy this mousse and let us know what you think!
Yield: 6 Servings
- 10 ounces of bittersweet ChocoVivo 75% chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs, separated at room temperature
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup organic extra virgin Olive Oil, we used Buon Gusto Farms, available at the shop
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules dissolved in 2 tablespoons of boiling water
- Grated zest of 1 small orange
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl or double boiler, and melt. Stirring in 10-second increments until smooth, about 1.5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Place egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium bowl and whisk until pale yellow. Whisk in the olive oil, coffee, zest and salt. Add the melted chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites in a bowl until soft white peaks form. Gradually sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat just until peaks are formed. Add a generous spoonful of the egg white mixture to the chocolate mixture. Stir firmly until completely incorporated. Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl of egg whites. Gently fold until combined.
- Divide mousse into six ounce ramekins and cover with plastic. Refrigerate over night.