The benefits of cacao extend beyond just eating it. Applying cacao to skin topically has it's own perks, including a boost of antioxidants which promote collagen production and reduce free-radical damage. It can also reduce redness due to anti-inflammatory properties found in cacao! To read more about the benefits of cacao for beautiful skin, find the Journal of Nutrition study here.
After using many different masks, we decided to try our own with ChocoVivo cacao powder . The recipe is super easy, check it out below!
ChocoVivo Cacao Face Mask
- 1 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tsp clay (green, red, bentonite, or white depending on the desired effet)
- 1/2 tsp oil jojoba oil or cacao oil
- 1 small cup of steeped green tea, for adding slowly
Mix ingredients and add green tea until consistency is thick and fluffy. Apply thick layer to face for 10 - 15 minutes. To remove mask, use an old towel as it could stain. Wash face with hot water. Rinse well and follow up with your favorite face oil, we love our Rose Cacao Oil.
For those interested in knowing more about the benefits of cacao, here is a well-written article we approve of written by Dr. Merry an M.D, Ph.D, article on cacao.
- flesh of 2 ripe avocados (240g)
- ChocoVivo 75% bar (80g)
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup milk of choice (60-120g)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch stevia OR 2-6 tbsp sweetener of choice
* Top with your favorite nuts, cacao nibs, or fruit for added texture
Carefully melt chocolate in a double boiler until smooth. Combine ingredients in a blender or food processor until completely smooth. Use less milk or milk substitute for a thicker mousse. Use sweetener of choice to taste. Note that the chocolate will already be sweet. If you're looking for a sugar free alternative try one of our Paleo Bars or Choco Vivo 100%.